Signs-



(***) - Good flick. I'll buy this one on DVD.



I used to have this cast iron stomach. When I weighed 285 I could eat a whole pizza and a cinder block and wash it all down with a beer and a quart of chocolate milk. No problem. Not any more. I know what you're wondering, what the Hell does this have to do with the Movie Signs? I'll tell you...



We sat through a ton of previews, including the excellent one for Two Towers, and then the movie started. Right away the tension began. The credits and music were cut from cloth woven by Alfred Hitchcock. They were simple and black and white and set the tone. But that's when the cramps started... In fact Hitchcock influence didn't stop there. Right down to the appearance in the film by the director, M. Night Shyamalan!



I won't give away too much about the movie. But I couldn't help think of Hitchcocks, The Birds and others.



I hate to leave movies for the bathroom. But soon into the movie I was quickstepping to the bathroom. I guess it scared the shit out of me...



I loved the production quality of this movie, the craftsmanship. I also love the casting. Mel Gibson as Father Graham Hess played a man that had lost his faith. Joaquin Phoenix as his brother Merrill Hess. Cherry Jones played Officer Caroline Paski very well! A role like that usually falls into clichés so easily. Mels kids were played masterfully by Rory Culkin (yes that's McCauleys brother) and Abigail Breslin. Even the small roles like the Guy in Army Recruiting Office (Michael Showalter) were great!



It has a couple good scares and surprises. It comes together in the end in the usual Shyamalan fashion. It cannot be compared to The Sixth Sense or Unbreakable in any way though. Completely different kind of move.



All it really missed was a shower scene with some beautiful blond victim. Oh well can't have everything!



Go see Signs! It's a great thriller with good scares and no splatter. This movie is why I think everyone should own and know how to use a shotgun... hehe







































Reign of Fire-



(***) - I liked this movie. But wanted more.



The Production design on this movie was really great. The locations and cinematography were really well done.



Matthew McConaughey did a really good job as Denton, the psycho Dragon Slayer. I have mostly seen him as lawyer types, but if Toby can be Spiderman, what the hell! Chicks will really dig how buff he is. Christian Bale, who I absolutly loved in American Psycho, was really good too as Quinn. I understand from a TV interview that during the fight scene between Deton and Quinn that the headbutt really landed and broke Bales nose. It looks like it does!



When I heard that Isabella Scorupco was in this movie I was all ready for a really hot love scene! No Love scene, no shower scene, no wet t-shirts, dammit! I even expected it. They even showed the complex sprinkler systems specifically designed for the purpose of increasing box office by exploiting Isabella Scorupco!! Oh the Humanity!! Still, she looks good even when she's really dirty. Most former Bond Girls do! But what a lot of former Bond Girls can't do is act. Izabella proves she can here.



The real stars of this movie are the Dragons. There were simply not enough scenes with them. They were GREAT. The movie in general was a little too short. It needed more dragons and wet t-shirts!



Go see it and have fun with it.



And don't forget... Don't be a chauvanist, chicks hate that.



























































Men in Black 2-



(**1/2) -



I liked this movie. But it's a Good News/Bad News review.



First the Bad News:



  • This completely requires that you have seen the first movie (A moviemeister film violation)

  • It's too short. 88 minutes. I like a little more meat for my $8.50.

  • Nothing new. Like the ad said, Same Planet, New Scum. Even the special effects were nothing new.

  • The Buddy chemistry wasn't as good as the first one.





The Good News:



  • This was F'ing funny. It had a couple of the funniest laughs I've had in the movies in a long time. Knee slappers! Howlers!

  • Frank The Dog. I want that dog. The dog was Fart in Church funny!

  • Lara Flynn Boyle in Victoria Secret lace! I wanted More!!! There was SUCH POTENTIAL!! Oh the Humanity!

  • Tony Shalhoub as Geebs. Never has getting your head blown off been so funny!

  • Our Boys Smith and Jones. Both are great in these roles.

  • Did I mention Lara Flynn Boyle...



This is a good summer funny, stupid, action, Sci-Fi flick. It wasn't better than the first one, but good enough to enjoy.



I gotta see it again to catch a few more things. It was packed on opening night and the laughter was LOUD plus we were sitting so close to the screen I'm sure there is a glimpse of Lara Flynn Boyles flesh I may have missed...








Minority Report-



(****) I am going to talk about this Movie in general terms so I do not spoil it for you.

I loved this movie.



It's Sci-Fi Film Noir just the way I like it. Forget that it's Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise and just enjoy this movie. This is made by the Spielberg that gave us Saving Private Ryan so some of the scenes can be disturbing. Most disturbing to me was the Sci-Fi view on advertising in the future. Targeted marketing at the personal level! Oh the Humanity. I'd be redballed in the Gap for sure!



I really enjoyed how the special effects were not the focus of this movie. Including the projectile barfing and best sneezing booger snot ever! This is about characters and story. The special effects seemed very plausible in the way they predicted the future of technology. The cities of the future were very believable. Some were just like there are now! That is how the future will be!



There is a very subtle underlying theme, a symbolism in this movie. It's about the eyes. "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king." When you see this, watch for the references to eyes, the loss of eyes, replacement of eyes, the hiding of the eyes by murderers... and heroes...



This movie has a lot of quiet social comment that flows in undercurrents. The fading of privacy, the quiet acceptance of eroding rights... Kubrick did this all the time.



It says a lot about the justice system. Like rape isn't considered "serious", like relying on automated technology too much for security is bad, like some lives are worth more than others...



I will be buying this on DVD the first day it's out. I might even see it again in the theater.




No comments: