Being Social, Having Friends, Going Outside...


Someone asked me today, "How did you get so many real friends?" and it struck me they were qualifing a difference between Cyber space and Meat space, not Real and Imaginary. Do we need a new word for On-line "friends" and actual people Friends, that you spend time with, in person, on purpose? I have started using upper case Friends and lower case friends.

This was a comment regarding a discussion about my new pop-up camper and going camping at Bear Creek State Park with Friends next weekend.

"You always seem to have a house full of people. Always doing stuff with people. Grilling, coffee, firepits, movie nights, camping, vacations. I don't know anyone else that has 4 guestrooms that all get used."

It got me thinking how isolated people are becoming.

A lot of my FB friends have NO real Friends. Or maybe just family, one or two that they might see infrequently. There are those that FB has isolated them from their own spouses and children.

Please realize that Social Media has become Anti-Social. I have come to believe that Facebook is a lot like booze. A little is fun and social and interesting and entertaining as long as it is a part of getting together in person with Friends, not in lue of getting together with freiends. But being alone with FB ALL the time is so not good.

Somehow I have avoided the addiction. 
  • Movie Night
  • Firepit evenings 
  • Dinner at my place, pizza, grilling, Shepherds pie!
  • Dinner out with Friends
  • Dinner out one on one with a Friend
  • Range days, pistol, rifle, shotgun, archery!
  • Whisky and/or cigar nights
  • Wine tours
  • Micro Brewery visits
  • Camping! Both modern and midevil!
  • Game nights! Scrabble, Words Against Humanity! with Friends
  • Birthdays, Holidays
  • Hikes, parks, lookout towers 
  • Museums with Friends
  • Flea or Farmers markets
  • Cheesy road side attractions (I love caves)
  • Hot Tub!
  • Go to Parties
I know I am an extrovert. More so even than Brenda. I know I have friends that are introverts. I also think that they are at the greatest risk from the social media isolation trap. We also have an open door, please visit any time policy, and that is easy because our house is always company ready. (Screw dusting!)

--Call me, email me, or just stop it. Let's get together. 

No comments: